Terms and Conditions
The protection of personal information is important to Snow Australia. Snow Australia is committed to respecting the right to privacy and the protection of personal information.
Why does Snow Australia collect personal information?
"Personal information" is information or an opinion (including information forming part of a database), whether true or not, and whether recorded in material form or not, about an individual whose identity is reasonably apparent, or can be reasonably ascertained, from the information or opinion.
Snow Australia collects personal information in order to properly and efficiently carry out its functions, including to provide you requested products and services, and to facilitate the provision of marketing and promotion services that may be of interest to you.
Snow Australia uses personal information only for the purposes for which it was provided and for directly related purposes (unless otherwise required by or authorised under law). We may state a more specific purpose at the point we collect your information.
If you do not provide us with the information that we request, we may not be able to provide you with our products or services.
What personal and sensitive information does Snow Australia collect?
Personal information is information or an opinion (including information or an opinion forming part of a database) from which it is possible to determine someone's identity.
The information collected by Snow Australia about a particular person will vary depending on the circumstances of collection. It may include, but is not limited to, a person's contact details (name, email and/or postal address, phone number), date of birth, place of birth, gender, driver's licence number, passport number, insurance details, bank account or credit card details, employment history, school or education institution attended, working with children check, parent or guardian contact information, qualifications or communication history with Snow Australia.
If it is reasonably necessary in the circumstances, Snow Australia may also collect sensitive information (which is a type of personal information) such as your medical history (including details of any health conditions or any allergies you may have), nationality/ethnicity or disability backgrounds.
How does Snow Australia collect personal and sensitive information?
Information may be collected when you:
- become a member of Snow Australia or of another body which is a member of or affiliated with Snow Australia (Snow Australia Affiliate);
- are included in, join or register for a Snow Australia program or event under the patronage of the Snow Australia, the Australian Paralympic Committee (APC), the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) or International Federations (IF) governing sports on the Snow Australia program;
- participate in Paralympic Winter Games, World Championships and World Cup events, and activities associated with the events, championships and games;
- enter personal information into, or agree to having your personal information entered into, one of Snow Australia's online systems or by completing any Snow Australia form;
- subscribe to any publication of Snow Australia or a Snow Australia Affiliate, including electronic publications;
- provide details to Snow Australia or a Snow Australia Affiliate in an application, consent form, survey or feedback form;
- enter personal information into, or agree to having your personal information entered into, one of Snow Australia's online systems;
- access a Snow Australia website or a website of a Snow Australia Affiliate;
- contact Snow Australia via email, telephone or mail or engage with Snow Australia via social media;
- participate in any program, activity, competition or event run, administered or sanctioned by Snow Australia or a Snow Australia Affiliate (which may include participants submitting photos or videos);
- purchase tickets to a Snow Australia or sporting event from Snow Australia or an authorised agent;
- purchase merchandise, products or services from Snow Australia or an authorised agent or licensee
- are elected or appointed to the Board or a committee of Snow Australia; or
- apply for employment or a volunteer position with Snow Australia or a Snow Australia Affiliate.
Personal information may also be collected where Snow Australia is required to do so by law (for education, child protection obligations, work health and safety laws, equal opportunity, charitable collections, medical treatment or other legislation in Australia).
Depending on the circumstances, some types of information will be required, and others might be optional. If you do not provide some or all of the information requested, this may affect Snow Australia's ability to communicate with you or provide the requested products or services.
By not providing requested information, you may jeopardise your ability to participate in programs or competitions or apply for employment or volunteer positions with Snow Australia or a Snow Australia Affiliate. If it is impracticable for Snow Australia to deal with you as a result of you not providing the requested information or consent, Snow Australia may refuse to do so.
Collection from third parties
Snow Australia or a Snow Australia Affiliate may collect personal information regarding a child from the parent or other responsible person associated with that child.
In many circumstances, Snow Australia collects information from Snow Australia Affiliates or other third parties. Examples of such third parties could include, without limitation, Snow Australia stakeholders and partners, Schools and other Education institutions, the APC, the Australian Olympic Committee, the Australian Sports Commission, the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Agency, the IPC, the Fédération Internationale de Ski, the World Snowboarding Federation, the Association of Freeski Professionals, non-affiliated organisations or government and law enforcement bodies.
Information storage and protection
Snow Australia stores information in different ways, including in paper and electronic form. Much of the information we collect from and about our members and from or about people who register their interest in Snow Australia is added to Snow Australia's database. When your information is entered into Snow Australia's database, the information may be combined or linked with other information held about you.
Security of personal information is important to Snow Australia. Snow Australia has taken steps to protect the information we hold from misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. Some of the security measures Snow Australia uses include strict confidentiality requirements of our employees, volunteers, Snow Australia Affiliates and service providers, security measures for system access and security measures for our website.
How does Snow Australia use and disclose personal and sensitive information?
- verify your identity;
- complete background checks;
- research, develop, run, administer, conduct and market competitions, programs, activities and other events related to Snow Australia, including tournaments;
- research, develop and market products, services, merchandise and special offers made available by us and third parties including but not limited to Snow Australia Affiliates and our licensees, preferred suppliers or sponsors; see Direct Marketing.
- to enable us, corporate partners, preferred suppliers and sponsors, as well as their related bodies corporate, to market and promote their products and services to you;
- respond to emergency situations involving or requiring medical treatment;
- administer, manage and provide you with access to the Snow Australia website; and
- keep you informed of news and information relating to various Snow Australia and sporting events, activities and opportunities via various mediums.
Snow Australia may use health information to ensure that programs we operate are run safely and in accordance with any special health needs participants may require. Health information may also be kept for insurance purposes. In addition, we may use de-identified health information and other sensitive information to carry out research, to prepare submissions to government, or to plan events and activities.
Snow Australia may disclose your personal information to a range of organisations which include, but are not limited to:
- Snow Australia Affiliates;
- companies we work with in staging events or tournaments;
- companies we engage to carry out functions and activities on Snow Australia's behalf, including direct marketing; see Direct Marketing.
- our third party service providers in connection with any of the categories of use identified above;
- our professional advisers, including our accountants, auditors and lawyers;
- our insurers
- relevant sporting bodies such as the Australian Sports Commission, the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority, Australian Institute of Sport, various National Sporting bodies, Federal and State Departments of Sport;
- entities associated with the Paralympic Winter Games, including those domiciled overseas relating to Paralympic Winter Games, World Championships or World Cup events such as the International Olympic Committee domiciled in Switzerland, or organisers of World Championships or World Cup events, domiciled in the country of the host city of the respective Championships or World Cup or any other IF sanctioned event; and
- in other circumstances permitted by law; see Other Disclosures
In some circumstances, personal information may be disclosed outside of Australia. In such circumstances, Snow Australia will use its best endeavours to ensure such parties are subject to a law, binding scheme or contract which effectively upholds principles for fair handling of the information that are suitably similar to the Australian Privacy Principles.
We will use non-sensitive personal information to provide better services and for marketing purposes (including disclosure of such information to service providers acting on our behalf).
If you do not wish to receive email, SMS or posted offers from Snow Australia, you may opt-out by using the link provided. Alternatively, you may advise us at any time by contacting Snow Australia via the contact details set out in this policy.
In addition, Snow Australia may also disclose personal information:
- with your express or implied consent;
- when required or authorised by law;
- to an enforcement body when reasonably necessary; or
- to lessen or prevent a threat to an individual or public health or safety.
Snow Australia website
Other than the websites listed above, websites linked to the Snow Australia website are not subject to Snow Australia's privacy standards, policies or procedures. Snow Australia cannot take any responsibility for the collection, use, disclosure or security of any personal information that you provide to a third party website.
Accessing and seeking correction of information held by Snow Australia
Snow Australia will take all reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information it collects, uses or discloses is accurate, complete and up-to-date. However, we rely on the accuracy of personal information as provided to us both directly and indirectly.
We encourage all users to regularly review and update their personal information. If you would like to access personal information that we hold about you, we require you to put your request in writing. If we do not allow you access to any part of the personal information we hold about you, we will tell you why.
Individuals may also request access to their personal information held by us by making a request via the contact details set out below. We will respond to your request for access within 14 days and endeavour to provide the requested information within 30 days. If you find that the personal information we hold about you is inaccurate, incomplete or out-of-date, please contact us immediately and we will see that it is corrected.
Resolving privacy issues and complaints
Any issues or complaints in relation to the collection, use, disclosure, quality, security of and access to your personal information may be made to Snow Australia in one of the following ways:
• By telephone on (03) 9696 2344
• Write to:
Level 2, 105 Pearl River Road
Docklands VIC 3008
• By email to firstname.lastname@example.org
We will respond to your complaint within a reasonable period and try to resolve your complaint for you. If we are unable to resolve your complaint or you are unhappy with the outcome, you can contact the Office of Australian Information Commissioner via its enquiries line 1300 363 992 or website http://www.oaic.gov.au/ to lodge a complaint.
For further information on Snow Australia's management of personal information, please contact Snow Australia.